SUMMER MUSIC BOOT CAMP: MUSIC THROUGH THE AGES
Join us for fun with classical music in-person this summer! Campers are expected to practice 1.5 hours a day – with NBS faculty offering coaching during practice sessions – with the goal of learning and perfecting a piece in one week! This piece would then be presented in a concert on the last day of camp.
Students will also study the fundamentals of music through music theory, composition and history with Dr. Ariane Alexander, and participate in Performance Classes led by Elena Berman every other day.
- Price – $375 per week
- Private lessons are encouraged but not included in camp tuition
- Students will be separated into two age groups
- Students ages 7-17 are encouraged to apply – if you are not currently a student at the school, please email us an audition video at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are interested in joining us virtually for the group music theory, composition, and/or history classes during our summer camp, please email us at email@example.com for pricing information.
Week 1 – July 19-23 – French & Russian Composers
Week 2 – August 2-6 – Baroque to the 20th Century
Sample Summer Camp Schedule
- 8:45-9:00AM – Check-in
- 9:00-9:55AM – Music Theory OR Music Composition (alternating days)
- 10:00-10:55AM – Performance Class
- 11:00-11:55AM – Ice Cream & Outdoor Games
- 12:00-12:55PM – Practice Time!
- 1:00-1:55PM – Lunch & Movies
- 2:00-2:55PM – Music History
- 3:00-3:30PM – Supervised Practice with NBS Faculty
- 3:00-3:45PM – Checkout
*Order of classes may differ.
COVID Procedures – Summer 2021
- All teachers & camp staff will be wearing masks over their nose & mouth
- Campers are required to wear masks while in public indoor spaces
- Students are required to stay at least 3 feet apart while wearing masks, and 6 feet apart if not wearing masks
- Any teacher, staff member, or student who has a fever, has been exposed to someone diagnosed with COVID, or otherwise feels sick should stay home until they feel better
- Antibacterial soap will be available in the bathrooms, and hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes will be available on every floor
Summer lessons work a little differently than during the school year. Lessons are scheduled on a weekly basis around your vacations. If your teachers are unavailable, we will provide a substitute, which is also a wonderful opportunity for your child to get feedback from a new perspective, learn new repertoire, work on scales, technique, and theory. A $200 deposit is due by July 6th, and then an invoice for any remaining balance will be sent to you later in July.
“Take 5” – Five lessons to explore a new style or approach to music, including:
- Try a new instrument of your choice this summer!
- “Broadway Tunes” – voice lessons focused on music theater, taught by Dr. Nathaniel McEwen and Marina Voznaya
- “Intro to Jazz” – jazz scales & chords on the piano, with Ethan Lee
- “Music Theory & Music History” – group Zoom lessons taught by Dr. Ariane Alxander
- Technique intensives for violin, cello & clarinet
- Intensive supervised study with multiple in-person lessons a week
- 10-Week Music History and Theory Course with Dr. Ariane Alexander