Summer Programs 2022
Week 1 – SUMMER MUSIC BOOT CAMP – July 18-22, 2022
Join us for fun with classical music in-person this summer! Campers are expected to practice 1.5 hours a day – with NBS faculty offering coaching during practice sessions – with the goal of learning and perfecting a piece in one week! This piece would then be presented in a concert on the last day of camp.
Students will also study the fundamentals of music through music theory and history with Dr. Ariane Alexander, and participate in Performance Classes led by Elena Berman every day.
Also, Dr. Jean-Francois Proulx will teach composition using Sibelius computer software. Older students will learn about the features of this wonderful program that let’s you write and print any kind of music, as well as any professional edition! Once you have mastered the basic, this user-friendly program is easy to explore on your own.
Students will be requested to download a free 30-day trial of Sibelius one week before the beginning of classes, and bring a laptop to school so they can practice each feature as we learn them!
“Musical Notation for Beginners”
Younger students will also experience Sibelius, but will be requested to also write music by hand. There will be a special emphasis on how to write a score to communicate clearly their musical ideas, as well as common pitfalls and how to avoid them!
- Price – $400 per week
- Private lessons are encouraged but not included in camp tuition
- Students will be separated into two age groups
- Students ages 7-17 are encouraged to apply – if you are not currently a student at the school, please email us an audition video at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sample Schedule (Monday-Thursday)
9:00-10:00- Music Theory/History Dr. Alexander younger group, Classical/Romantic Periods
9:00-10:00- Sibelius composition computer notation program with Dr, Jean Francois Proulx – Older Group
10:15-11:15 – Switch groups
11:15-12:00 -Ice cream and outdoor games/OR Practice for 45 minutes
12:00-12:45 Lunch and movies
1:00-2:00- Practice group- including 20 minute lesson or accompaniment per student
1:00-2:00 – Performance class group- with Elena Berman, accompanist for non pianists
3:15-3:30 – get ready to leave
Friday, Classes up to 2:00 and Family concert from 2:15-3:45 PM
Students are encouraged to register for several individual lessons in their instrument after 3:30 PM., to help prepare them for the Friday Family Concert and improve their technical skills.
Week 2 – RENAISSANCE AND BAROQUE – August 1-5, 2022
Students will focus on music from the Renaissance and Baroque periods with Dr. Anna Kislitsyna and Music Theory with Dr. Ariane Alexander. Dr. Jean-Francois Proulx will teach his Sibelius computer notation class at this camp, too! Supervised practice with faculty of the NBS.
- Price – $450 per week
Summer 2022 Safety Procedures
- Any teacher, staff member, or student who has a fever, has been exposed to someone diagnosed with COVID, or otherwise feels sick should stay home until they feel better
- Antibacterial soap will be available in the bathrooms, and hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes will be available on every floor
Summer lessons work a little differently than during the school year. Lessons are scheduled on a weekly basis around your vacations. If your teachers are unavailable, we will provide a substitute, which is also a wonderful opportunity for your child to get feedback from a new perspective, learn new repertoire, work on scales, technique, and theory. A $200 deposit is due by July 6th, and then an invoice for any remaining balance will be sent to you later in July.
“Take 5” – Five lessons to explore a new style or approach to music, including:
- Try a new instrument of your choice this summer!
- “Broadway Tunes” – voice lessons focused on music theater, taught by Dr. Nathaniel McEwen and Marina Voznaya
- “Intro to Jazz” – jazz scales & chords on the piano, with Ethan Lee
- “Music Theory & Music History” – group Zoom lessons taught by Dr. Ariane Alxander
- Technique intensives for violin, cello & clarinet
- Intensive supervised study with multiple in-person lessons a week
- 10-Week Music History and Theory Course with Dr. Ariane Alexander
Past Summer Camps
- 5 Eras in 5 Days
- Baroque & Beyond
- Exploring Romanticism
- Impressionism & Modernism
- Summer Music Boot Camp